Thursday, January 22, 2009

Could you survive in poverty?

In my recent public policy readings I came across this test of being able to survive in poverty:

Can you agree with these statements?:

  1. I know which churches and sections of town have the best rummage sales.
  2. I know which rummage sales have "bag sales" and when.
  3. I know which grocery stores' garbage bins can be accessed for thrown-away food.
  4. I know how to get someone out of jail.
  5. I know how to physically fight and defend myself physically.
  6. I know how to get a gun, even if I have a police record.
  7. I know how to keep my clothes from being stolen at the Laundromat.
  8. I know what problems to look for in a used car.
  9. I know how to live without a checking account.
  10. I know how to live without electricity and a phone.
  11. I know how to use a knife as scissors.
  12. I can entertain a group of friends with my personality and my stories.
  13. I know what to do when I don't have money to pay the bills.
  14. I know how to move in half a day.
  15. I know how to get and use food stamps or an electronic card for benefits.
  16. I know where the free medical clinics are.
  17. I am very good at trading and bartering.
  18. I can get by without a car.


From A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby K. Payne, Ph.D

2 comments:

  1. this is crazy...I do know how to get foodstamps though...Did you hear that if the min wage had raised with inflastion, min wage would currently be about $16.00, so technically everyone who is paid less than that is living below the poverty line...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. But the way that they determine the poverty "line" is completely backdated. I just read in an Opposing Viewpoints book that they determine it by means of food and how much food a family or people would need to survive. I don't think food alone is indicative of needs being met. It's been this way since around the time FDR was working on fixing the Great Depression.

    ReplyDelete